[Koha-devel] koha-common install
Paul A
2014-12-24 21:32:55 UTC
Happy Christmas, Happy Holidays all around,

Having a look at latest releases of Ubuntu and Koha on a 32-bit 'sandbox'
server, newly built with latest 14.04.1 LTS Ubuntu. Koha failed despite
major attempts at fulfilling dependencies, including CPAN which cannot find
yaz, idzebra nor libnet-z3950-zoom-perl. I started with 130-odd missing
files, individually installed all but these, despite adding deb's for koha,
and Debian wheezy and squeeze to /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm *guessing* that i386 is no longer supported, but couldn't find any
mention at koha-community. I should be able to get a 64-bit sandbox after
staff leave for the holidays later today and will try again. Here's the
gory details:

***@hallowell:/$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

***@hallowell:/$ sudo apt-get install koha-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

koha-common : Depends: libnet-z3950-zoom-perl but it is not going to be
installed
Depends: idzebra-2.0 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: yaz but it is not going to be installed

br -- paul

Christopher Nighswonger
2014-12-25 01:28:55 UTC
Something is broken with one of the dependencies of yaz on the latest LTS.
I ran into this the other day on my Dev box. Haven't had time to chase it
down yet.

Kind Regards

Chris
Mark Tompsett
2014-12-25 04:58:37 UTC
Greetings,

I figured I had not done a 32-bit install in a while, so I grabbed the Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS ISO.
I installed it in VirtualBox OpenSSH, LAMP, and Mail Server selected (even though I probably could have gone with nothing).
I then followed the instructions http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages
Now, I was expecting some apache2 issues to crop up, but strangely I had no problems whatsoever running:
sudo apt-get install koha-common

You should NEVER tinker with /etc/apt/sources.list, when you SHOULD ADD /etc/apt/sources.list.d/NEWFILE.list and sudo apt-get update.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett

Paul A
2014-12-26 23:35:55 UTC
Hi Mark and Chris,

Thanks for your input. Just tried again on a brand new 64-bit Ubuntu
14.04.1 server, perl 5.18, apache 2.4.6, mysql 5.5, memcached, users/pwds,
etc. This will be one of our new production servers, and I was hoping to
upgrade Koha from our current 3.8.5.

Tried the package first:

***@hood:/usr/share/koha$ sudo apt-get install koha-common
/... snip .../
libapache2-mpm-itk
apache2-mpm-itk
koha-common

So to get a bit more insight, used the latest tarball:

***@hood:/usr/share/koha/koha-3.18.02$ perl koha_perl_deps.pl -m -u

Installed Required
Module is
Module
Name Version Version
Required
HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench 0
* 0.73 No
Module::Bundled::Files 0
* 0.03 No
Readonly::XS 0
* 1.02 No
Test::DBIx::Class 0
* 0.42 No
Test::WWW::Mechanize 1.42
* 1.44 No

Total modules reported: 5 * Module is missing or
requires an upgrade.

Now confused as to whether these are required or not??? In any case, perl
Makefile.PL fails:

Warning: prerequisite HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench 0.73 not found.
Warning: prerequisite Test::DBIx::Class 0.42 not found.
Warning: prerequisite Test::WWW::Mechanize 1.44 not found. We have 1.42.
Writing Makefile for koha
Unable to open MakeMaker.tmp: Permission denied at
/usr/share/perl/5.18/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 1030.

Have tried (unsuccessfully) some attempts with CPAN, e.g.

***@hood:/usr/share/koha$ sudo cpan HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench
Reading '/home/paul/.cpan/Metadata'
Database was generated on Fri, 26 Dec 2014 08:53:17 GMT
Running install for module 'HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench'
Running make for A/AD/ADIRAJ/ApacheBench-0.73.tar.gz
Checksum for
/home/paul/.cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AD/ADIRAJ/ApacheBench-0.73.tar.gz ok

CPAN.pm: Building A/AD/ADIRAJ/ApacheBench-0.73.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
Writing Makefile for HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
cp lib/HTTPD/Bench/ApacheBench/Regression.pm
blib/lib/HTTPD/Bench/ApacheBench/Regression.pm
cp lib/HTTPD/Bench/ApacheBench/Run.pm blib/lib/HTTPD/Bench/ApacheBench/Run.pm
cp lib/HTTPD/Bench/ApacheBench.pm blib/lib/HTTPD/Bench/ApacheBench.pm
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/paul/.cpan/build/ApacheBench-0.73-hFvRj7/src'
/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/perl/5.18.2/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap
/usr/share/perl/5.18/ExtUtils/typemap ApacheBench.xs > ApacheBench.xsc &&
mv ApacheBench.xsc ApacheBench.c
cc -c -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fstack-protector
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -g -DVERSION=\"0.73\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.73\"
-fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl/5.18/CORE" ApacheBench.c
/bin/sh: 1: cc: not found
make[1]: *** [ApacheBench.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/.cpan/build/ApacheBench-0.73-hFvRj7/src'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
ADIRAJ/ApacheBench-0.73.tar.gz
make -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
Make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Any thoughts, pointers?

Thanks and br -- Paul

P.S. Mark: the additional repositories are in sources.list.d/koha.list, etc
-- not in the main file.
<http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages>http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 8:28 PM
[...]
---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>

Tomas Cohen Arazi
2014-12-26 23:58:21 UTC
We have installed 3.18 using the koha-common package on Ubuntu 14.04
(amd64) flawlessly. The only caveat I have memory of, was setting mpm_itk
*before* running sudo apt-get install koha-common (because of a mod_itk
package bug, inherited from Debian).

regards
To+
Post by Paul A
Hi Mark and Chris,
Thanks for your input. Just tried again on a brand new 64-bit Ubuntu
14.04.1 server, perl 5.18, apache 2.4.6, mysql 5.5, memcached, users/pwds,
etc. This will be one of our new production servers, and I was hoping to
upgrade Koha from our current 3.8.5.
/... snip .../
libapache2-mpm-itk
apache2-mpm-itk
koha-common
Installed Required
Module is
Module
Name Version Version
Required
--------------------------------
HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench 0
* 0.73 No
Module::Bundled::Files 0
* 0.03 No
Readonly::XS 0
* 1.02 No
Test::DBIx::Class 0
* 0.42 No
Test::WWW::Mechanize 1.42
* 1.44 No
--------------------------------
Paul A
2014-12-28 00:47:17 UTC
Post by Tomas Cohen Arazi
We have installed 3.18 using the koha-common package on Ubuntu 14.04
(amd64) flawlessly. The only caveat I have memory of, was setting mpm_itk
*before* running sudo apt-get install koha-common (because of a mod_itk
package bug, inherited from Debian).
Thanks Tomas -- I seem to have got all the dependencies installed -- but
'make test' fails with the following 2 errors. Any ideas?

t/Creators.t ........................ 1/16 ERROR in koha-conf.xml --
missing <font type="H">/path/to/font.ttf</font> at
/usr/share/koha/koha-3.18.02/blib/PERL_MODULE_DIR/C4/Creators/PDF.pm line 123.
ERROR in koha-conf.xml -- missing <font type="H">/path/to/font.ttf</font>
at /usr/share/koha/koha-3.18.02/blib/PERL_MODULE_DIR/C4/Creators/PDF.pm
line 319.

# Failed test 'testing StrWidth() returns correct point width'
# at t/Creators.t line 47.
# got: '19.344'
# expected: '23.044921875'

# Failed test 'testing Text() writes to the correct x-value'
# at t/Creators.t line 51.
# got: '29.344'
# expected: '33.044921875'
# Looks like you failed 2 tests of 16.
t/Creators.t ........................ Dubious, test returned 2 (wstat 512,
0x200)
Failed 2/16 subtests
/... snip.../
Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/Creators.t (Wstat: 512 Tests: 16 Failed: 2)
Failed tests: 12, 14
Non-zero exit status: 2
Files=98, Tests=9708, 31 wallclock secs ( 0.57 usr 0.06 sys + 22.15
cusr 1.20 csys = 23.98 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 1/98 test programs. 2/9708 subtests failed.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255

Thanks and best regards -- Paul
Post by Tomas Cohen Arazi
regards
To+
El Fri Dec 26 2014 at 20:36:30, Paul A
Hi Mark and Chris,
Thanks for your input. Just tried again on a brand new 64-bit Ubuntu
14.04.1 server, perl 5.18, apache 2.4.6, mysql 5.5, memcached, users/pwds,
etc. This will be one of our new production servers, and I was hoping to
upgrade Koha from our current 3.8.5.
/... snip .../
 libapache2-mpm-itk
 apache2-mpm-itk
 koha-common
<http://koha_perl_deps.pl>koha_perl_deps.pl -m -u
Installed     Required
    Module is
Module
Name                 Â
Version      Version
Required
HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench           0
*Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 0.73Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â No
Module::Bundled::Files            0
*Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 0.03Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â No
Readonly::XSÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 0
*Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 1.02Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â No
Test::DBIx::Class               0
*Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 0.42Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â No
Test::WWW::Mechanize             1.42
*Â Â Â Â Â Â 1.44Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â No
Total modules reported: 5Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â * Module is
[...]
-fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl/5.18/CORE"Â Â ApacheBench.c
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 8:28 PM
[...]
Release:Â Â Â Â 14.04
Codename:Â Â Â Â trusty
Post by Mark Tompsett
        Depends: yaz but it is not going to be installed
br -- paul
---
<<http://NavalMarineArchive.com>http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and
<<http://UltraMarine.ca>http://UltraMarine.ca>
Mark Tompsett
2014-12-28 02:49:30 UTC
Greetings,
... I seem to have got all the dependencies installed -- but 'make test' fails with the following 2 errors. Any ideas?
You never run a make test if you are doing a package install. Stop installing from source on a debian based system. You’ll worry yourself pointlessly.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett
Mark Tompsett
2014-12-28 08:11:12 UTC
Greetings,
Post by Paul A
/... snip .../
libapache2-mpm-itk
apache2-mpm-itk
koha-common
That is to be expected, because of the changes in apache2. If you forget to
deal with the apache2-mpm-itk BEFORE installing koha-common, you can refer
to the troubleshooting appendix:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages#Appendix_B:_Troubleshooting
Consulting the wiki instructions is far more useful and less confusing.

What you discovered were things that might be required if you were to
attempt to run the full testing suite. For example, I recall
Test::WWW::Mechanize is used in some batch test which is now broken because
of the change of the data tables from one thing to another. Don't remember
if I bug reported it. Similarly Test::DBIx::Class is required for the newer
Shibboleth tests. I did spend a few days tracking down dependencies. It is
easiest to install in Debian Jessie, though I did get success in Ubuntu
14.04 LTS after much pain. Another problem is that some modules don't return
the version number the way the script expects to parse, and so you may find
you actually do have Readonly::XS 1.02 or higher installed.
Post by Paul A
Have tried (unsuccessfully) some attempts with CPAN, e.g.
A few more things in closing, consider using cpan2deb rather than CPAN. And

[SNIP]
Post by Paul A
cc -c -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fstack-protector
[SNIP]
/bin/sh: 1: cc: not found

Install gcc and make, before trying to cpan things, because sometimes they
require them.
Post by Paul A
P.S. Mark: the additional repositories are in sources.list.d/koha.list,
etc -- not in the main file.
[SNIP TO OLD POST]
Post by Paul A
I started with 130-odd missing files, individually installed all but
these, despite adding deb's for koha, and Debian wheezy and squeeze to
/etc/apt/sources.list
That is not what you said.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett

Paul A
2014-12-29 18:16:50 UTC
Post by Mark Tompsett
Greetings,
[snip]

Mark and all others, thanks. 3.18 now installed, OPAC and Staff pages
appear as expected. "Web installer > Step 3 Updating database structure"
appeared to go well (285 lines of updates) but with the five errors
(minor?) at the end of this email.

However, much more importantly, Zebra is non functional. Firstly, I tried
the Wiki recommendation "koha-rebuild-zebra -v -f" but:
Can't open perl script "koha-rebuild-zebra": No such file or directory

[The file with it's dependences is still in the install directory, wasn't
transferred during make install and will obviously not run from there:
***@hood:/usr/share/koha$ find -iname koha-rebuild-zebra
./koha-3.18.02/debian/scripts/koha-rebuild-zebra
***@hood:/usr/share/koha$ ./koha-3.18.02/debian/scripts/koha-rebuild-zebra
-v -f
Error: /usr/share/koha/bin/koha-functions.sh not present.
]

So I reverted to the "old 3.8.5" method
./bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -b -r -v -x (with and without the
'-x') and ./bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -a -r -v, and after fixing
the missing ..LCK directories and files, reindexing appears perfect (right
number of biblios and authorities, goes through all the stages "exporting
biblio",
35301....................................................................................................
Records exported: 35379 REINDEXING zebra CLEANING

But -- both Staff and OPAC get _No results found_ (Staff gives the added
"No results match your search for 'kw,wrdl: smith' in NMA Catalog" whereas
3.8.5 has "568 result(s) found for 'kw,wrdl: smith' in NMA Catalog.

Thoughts anyone?

Update db errors:
Version: mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.40, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
using readline 6.3

[Mon Dec 29 10:50:01 2014] updatedatabase.pl: DBD::mysql::db do
failed: Duplicate entry 'SuspendHoldsIntranet' for key 'PRIMARY' at
/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer/data/mysql/updatedatabase.pl
line 5335.
[Mon Dec 29 10:50:01 2014] updatedatabase.pl: DBD::mysql::db do
failed: Duplicate entry 'SuspendHoldsOpac' for key 'PRIMARY' at
/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer/data/mysql/updatedatabase.pl
line 5336.
[Mon Dec 29 10:50:01 2014] updatedatabase.pl: DBD::mysql::db do
failed: Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails
(`koha18`.`message_transports`, CONSTRAINT `message_transports_ibfk_1`
FOREIGN KEY (`message_attribute_id`) REFERENCES `message_attributes`
(`message_attribute_id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE ) at
/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer/data/mysql/updatedatabase.pl
line 5361.
[Mon Dec 29 10:50:11 2014] updatedatabase.pl: DBD::mysql::db do
failed: BLOB/TEXT column 'issn' used in key specification without a key
length at
/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer/data/mysql/updatedatabase.pl
line 8424.
[Mon Dec 29 10:50:11 2014] updatedatabase.pl: DBD::mysql::db do
failed: Incorrect prefix key; the used key part isn't a string, the used
length is longer than the key part, or the storage engine doesn't support
unique prefix keys at
/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer/data/mysql/updatedatabase.pl
line 8428.

Best regards all round -- Paul

---

Chris Cormack
2014-12-29 20:07:52 UTC
Post by Paul A
Post by Mark Tompsett
Greetings,
[snip]
Mark and all others, thanks. 3.18 now installed, OPAC and Staff pages
appear as expected. "Web installer > Step 3 Updating database structure"
appeared to go well (285 lines of updates) but with the five errors
(minor?) at the end of this email.
However, much more importantly, Zebra is non functional. Firstly, I tried
Can't open perl script "koha-rebuild-zebra": No such file or directory
[The file with it's dependences is still in the install directory, wasn't
./koha-3.18.02/debian/scripts/koha-rebuild-zebra
-v -f
Error: /usr/share/koha/bin/koha-functions.sh not present.
]
It is because you decided not to install using the packages, and instead
used the tarball, so none of the package supplied scripts
will be there

Chris
Robin Sheat
2014-12-29 22:14:34 UTC
Post by Paul A
However, much more importantly, Zebra is non functional. Firstly, I tried
Can't open perl script "koha-rebuild-zebra": No such file or directory
I don't think you're pasting the commands/errors correctly, I can't
imagine a scenario that would cause that message.

1. koha-rebuild-zebra requires a library name,
2. koha-rebuild-zebra should be run with sudo,
3. koha-rebuild-zebra isn't even a Perl script, so nothing should
be referring to it as such.

Without correct information, there's no way for anyone to give you
meaningful assistance.

However, as Chris said, if you stopped using the packages and instead
did things the hard way, koha-rebuild-zebra isn't available to you in
the first place.

If you did end up with the packages (it's totally not clear), then you
probably broke your permissions by doing it using the low-level scripts
directly.

The one thing you haven't told us though, which is the first thing to
check if you get no search results, is if your zebrasrv daemon is
actually running in the first place.
--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.
GPG: 5FA7 4B49 1E4D CAA4 4C38 8505 77F5 B724 F871 3BDF
Paul A
2014-12-29 21:44:41 UTC
At 09:07 AM 12/30/2014 +1300, Chris Cormack wrote:
[snip]
Post by Paul A
It is because you decided not to install using the packages, and instead
used the tarball, so none of the package supplied scripts
will be there
Yup... I tried four times (twice on a 32-bit sandbox, and twice on a new
64-bit machine due to go into production soon), reinstalling the whole
server from scratch each time, and coha-common failed every time. So I
went back to my notes from Koha 3.8 and used the tarball for 3.18.2.

Do you have a list of the "package supplied scripts" not in the tarball?
That would be most useful for me to chase down any final "missing
advantages" of 3.18 -- our staff are excited at getting their hands on the
"new version."

Anyways I'm getting closer. The Zebra failure was that the daemon wasn't
running, cured with a:
***@hood:/etc/init.d$ sudo ln -s /usr/share/koha/bin/koha-zebra-ctl.sh
koha-zebra-daemon
***@hood:/etc/init.d$ sudo /etc/init.d/koha-zebra-daemon start
Starting Zebra Server

Bingo! OPAC and Staff now functional.

David Cook
2014-12-31 04:48:31 UTC
Regarding the "package supplied scripts", you can see the list here:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Commands_provided_by_the_Debian_packages

It seems a shame to use the tarball when you're on Ubuntu though. What
instructions did you use for installing the packages? It looks like you ran
into the problem described here:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages#Some_difficult
ies_were_encountered_installing_apache2-mpm-itk. I recently ran into that
problem myself when setting up Koha in Ubuntu 14.04 (although I was using
the koha-deps and koha-perldeps packages rather than koha-common for a
different kind of install).

My suggestion would be to run the following:

sudo apt-get install apache2
sudo a2dismod mpm_event
sudo a2enmod mpm_prefork
sudo service apache2 restart
sudo apt-get install koha-common

That way, you won't get those errors when you install " apache2-mpm-itk" as
part of "koha-common" resolving its dependencies.

If you don't like the idea of Koha automatically upgrading when new versions
are released, you could also take a look at holding the package:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto#Introduction_to_Holding_Packa
ges

David Cook
Systems Librarian